Thursday, May 15, 2008

Last Thursday, This Thursday

Wow, it's been awhile since I could get here. Sorry 'bout that, but these gas prices have driven me onto the commuter trains - which means my commute has gone from two hours round-trip to four. I'm going to have to be a bit more sporadic, not that I like it any.

At any rate, last Thursday was great - we did kata, kata, kata like crazy. Sensei is getting ready to test several levels in the class, so we were really drilling.

Ed and I got to spar the last 15 minutes of class, and it was a good session. He got me a serious blast in the nose, but he also taught me something I'd already suspected: I need to stop pulling my kicks to the point where they don't contact. I'm missing a ton of points in sparring that way. I've always been afraid that if I do make contact when kicking, I'd injure someone. I think maybe now I'm getting enough control I can keep it to light contact.

Tonight, however, was started with Kata, and followed by combination routines on the Wavemaster. (See THIS POST for an explanation of what a Wavemaster is.)

After beating bag for 45 minutes in numerous combinations, we adjourned class.

The last thing Sensei said to myself and the other uniformed white belt in class was that we "should treat every class as if it were a test from here until we're tested in June." I take it there's more meaning in that than just what it seems on the surface.

On that note, Sayonara, and thank you for reading.

Dan

No comments: