Sunday, March 2, 2008

Saturday Class Review and...a New Wavemaster!

Saturday:

Saturday is open instruction. Basically, Sensei comes in and gives everyone a chance at a free extra hour of instruction for taking the class. (Since I am on both the Tuesday & Thursday schedule, this means I pay for two and get the third free. Given the rates at the Y, this is a great deal.) The only separation is by age - the kids go in two divisions, beginner & advanced, and then the adults. He puts in a total of three hours.

The division isn't quite a hard, fast rule. There can be a little mixing of kids and adults on Saturday, but they train in separate parts of the room which serves as our dojo.

Sensei was pretty busy, so basically I just practiced kata, blocks, kicks, and punches for an hour after stretching. (I still use the Tae Kwon Do stretches.) I did kicks last, and worked out hard for an hour, raising a good sweat.

One thing I did learn on Saturday was proper wrist positioning on an upward block. I'm going to have to get a picture in here to explain it, so I'll reserve that for another post.

Then the fun part: I got a new Wavemaster Original model today! (I got it at Sports Authority, which was the same price without any shipping as the link below, but you can get more info at the link. Just click on the picture of the Wavemaster.)

It holds about 26 gallons or so of water in the base, so I got an extra work out toting water to the basement. Our house has a 2nd floor laundry, so no water in the basement. I used an empty gallon milk jug and a two-gallon flower sprinkler can with the sprinkler head removed to fill it, so about 8-9 trips from the kitchen sink to the basement to fill it up.

I broke it in with a 45 minute work out today. The bare concrete floor isn't fun, and leaves grey concrete dust all over the bag afterward, so I had to get a damp cloth and clean it up, but it works. I got a good sweat going, then cooled down with kata and blocks. (I couldn't do this Saturday at the dojo because I have to share BOB with the rest of the class.)

Now I've broken the ice working out at home - which should speed my training and fitness level a bit.

Sayonara,

Dan


The Original Wavemaster:



No comments: