Friday, February 29, 2008

Kata, Kicks, Punches, and Elbows...

Tonight was fun. Sensei was off working with a newcomer to class, getting her up to speed, so he had our purple belt teach the rest of the class. First she had us doing kata takeo kai ichei four times. The first time was nice and slow, work on perfecting forms and stances. The second time was a bit faster, the thirsd as fast as we could go and a bit more "powered up." (Using full strength, or more strength.) TYhe final time, she had us do it with our eyes closed! That was different indeed. Try it some time.

After kata, we did kicking drills on our body-dummy, Bob. Being made of rubber, he's pretty compliant. We started off with front kicks, then roundhouse, then hook, then crescent, then step behind side kick, etc. (Alternating legs on each type, of course.) After that, we did punches and such.

Sensei came back in with the new gal about two-thirds of the way through class, and had us practising various kicks and elbow strikes, and also a few joint locks and combinations.

It amazes me how many variations there are for this art. I always suspected there was a lot more to karate then I had ever heard, and how!

I'm having to watch the old knees, though. I've got a little bit of arthritis in them, and being so new, I don't have proper form yet. I think it will be less strain on the knees once I lose some weight and get better form and execution of my moves happening.

At any rate, have a great weekend!

Sayonara,

Dan

No comments: