Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Some Intial Thoughts On Weapons In Karate...

...I'm running across quite a few references to various martial arts weapons in Karate, along with much discussion of lineage, history, and Japanese vs. Okinawan terminology.

First, on the subject of weapons, I feel that adding weapons to this practice is something I want little part of at this juncture. I suppose that at some time in the future, I may want to train with weapons to further hone skill or coordination, but at first glance I am rather repulsed by the idea. Becoming adept at "Empty Hand" seems to me to have a more noble, principled allure. This is just something I feel, and at this point, I couldn't put my finger on why.

There is quite a bit of weapons discussion going on here: The Oninawa Karate & Kobudo Blog. If you want to get into that sort of thing, go check them out. For me, it's just not what I want to get into. Maybe I have enough on my hands right now just learning with them empty. Only time will tell.

As to the history and Japanese-language terminology, I think I am in for a lot of schooling. Maybe it will also improve my ability to absorb rote memorization, or have other benefits. Because new knowledge almost always brings with it new opportunities, I will look forward to learning as I go along.

Sayonara,

Dan

No comments: