Saturday, June 14, 2008

So, why do I want to learn Karate, anyway?

I've not much discussed my reasons for wanting to learn Karate, but there are several.

For starters, I've been a comic book fan since I was a little kid. Bif, Pow, Bam - Batman, Spiderman, Superman, etc. Around high school, a new comic came out - "Iron Fist." This was an instant hit with me, introducing the concept of "Chi" completely focused with skill. I had the first 15 issues at the time, although all but the last one were stolen a few months later. Also, I'd seen some Bruce Lee and Chuck Norriss films, and of course, "Super Fly."

There was a Tae Kwon Do academy that opened just down the road from my high school as well around this time - and I really wanted to attend. I just didn't have the money.

Fast forward to now, as a middle-aged man, I need the physical exercise, period. There's only one way to stay fairly healthy in the second half of life, and that's to stay physically fit and eat right.

Finally, I am looking to the future. In twenty to twenty five years, I'll be at retirement age. I'd like to teach Karate as a retirement job, both to supplement my income, and to stay active and fit as long as possible. I also just plain enjoy teaching subjects I know well.

Finally, it just plain feels good to get a good work out, and to feel physically secure and capable in self defense.

So, there you have it, my personal reasons for wanting to learn Karate.

Sayonara,

Dan

No comments: