Friday, June 20, 2008

Lunge Punches & The "Push" Kata

Thursday night class was good, a strong work out. We warmed up with Takeo Ko Kai Shii, which is all about thrust kicks. This kata really strengthens the legs and core muscles, but it is very difficult at first. I'm starting to get a little better at it, but have quite a way to go.

I also led the class in Empi Kata, which is all elbow strikes. I'm getting better at that, too, but it still unnerves me a bit to lead the class. Ahh, practice. I'll get over that eventually.

We also practiced lunge punches, which is stepping into a long zenkutsu dachi and using body torque to push through a "reaching" punch.

Following that, we practiced roundhouse and front kicks both on the bar and across the room.

We finished out the class practicing side and front kicks on the large wavemaster.

Definitely a sweat class, or "washagi."

Sayonara,

Dan

No comments: