Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A bit of confusion, a bit of teaching...

...class was good tonight, but started off a little weird. The Y only really has one room big enough for larger exercise classes, and there's an aerobics class ahead of us. It appears that the aerobics instructor on Thursdays before our karate class asked the Y for an extra 15 minutes in the classroom so they could cool down. The Y went along with it, because there are more students in aerobics class than in karate class.

I guess it doesn't matter that between the two nights there are probably 25 of us, and our schedules, which we all thought were set, well, they just don't mean a thing.

At least Sensei is being fair. If the aerobics class gets an hour and fifteen minutes when they paid for an hour, our class is getting an hour and fifteen minutes. We're starting the first 15 minutes in a smaller classroom in the new wing, and then moving to the big classroom at 8:15 instead of starting in there at 8:00. Class now runs until 9:15 pm.

At any rate, we started warm up with kata, all doing Takeoko kai ichei thru son, then our highest kata once.

After kata warm up, we did 45 minutes of sparring. At first it was one-on-one, and I was doing pretty well I thought, holding my own. Then we did two-on-one, and I got to be the man in the middle for 2/3rds the time. Wow, that was a workout!

After sparring, we worked on kata for another 1/2 hour. Some of us got to help others perfect their forms. I worked with one of the white belts on the first three Takeoko's especially ichei. If you get that one down, the next two only differ in which block and punch you're using. I thought the guy I was working with made some solid improvements.

We finished up with a couple of repetitions of the Empi kata, which is all elbow strikes for the most part.

There was a lot of good discussion after the class too. I really enjoyed it.

Until next week - (I'm only doing Tuesday nights right now)

Sayonara,

Dan

No comments: