Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Little Learning, A Little Teaching...

...This class was mostly about kata - I got to learn the first half of Takeoko Kai Go - which is the second kata required for my next promotion. We also went through all the white belt katas, from Empi to Takeoko Kai Ichei, Ni, & Son. I go to practice Shii as well.

Later in the class, Sensei had to work with our Purple Belt - so he had me instruct the two white belts there on the most basic Takeoko Kai - Ichei. I think they both made good progress.

At the end of class, since there was no sparring, Sensei asked us what we wanted to do. I requested kicking drills, because I need the aerobic exercise as well as the form training. We did roundhouse kicks, front kicks, jumping front kicks, side kicks, crescent kicks, etc.

All in all a good class.

Sensei also warned us that with the economy, he might be forced to work a second shift instead of first shift. If that's so, another black belt will be taking over the class. I'm hoping not, but I completely understand. My employer just announced that we will take a 5% pay cut through June, and that they are suspending 401k matching funds. The economy is bad for people's health this way. I've read of people who were losing weight and getting high blood pressure under control, only to be forced into eating cheap fast foods and having all their health gains go out the window.

Hopefully things will get better soon.

Sayonara,

Dan

No comments: